Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Something Interesting to Note

The first week or so of school, I scheduled the kids and had them work on the same subject at the same time. I also stuck around to make sure both kids were staying on task. I wanted to be 100% sure they were completing their assignments and doing the things they were supposed to be doing.

As the weeks began to pass, I started to ease up a bit and began making lists for each kid. Each kid had the same number of subjects to complete, but the order in which they completed those tasks was completely up to them. They seemed to enjoy the freedom and I enjoyed watching them explore their education. Since the lists worked so well, I have now implemented lists as a part of our daily school routine. Now how long school takes is up to them. They can stay on task and finish early or they can take various breaks and take ALL day to finish their work. It is up to them. I am available for any help, but I do not hover like I did the first couple of weeks. The only time I stay in the room for an extended period of time, is when I am teaching them a lesson or helping them to review what they have learned. I like this method and I am confident they like it as well.

One day last week, I ended up needing to work later then I usually do. Normally, I am home by 10 am and that is when we begin our school day. That day, I did not get off work until 12:30 pm which meant that I would not be home until closer to 1 pm. Because I did not want to wait until 1 pm to start our school day, I made a list for each child. To be honest, I did not expect for them to have their lists started by the time I got home from work. Much to my surprise(AND delight!) they had BOTH completed their lists and were finished with school by the time I came home! I must say, I was quite impressed and praised both kids for their follow-through! One of my goals is to teach them how to work independantly and how to be an active participant in their own education. I think we are off to a GREAT start and I hope they continue on this path. :) I think if they can figure out how to navigate their education, they will grow up being able to make their own decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment