Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I Did It! Day One is Down!

Today we began homeschooling. All in all, I think it went very well! The kids seemed attententive and completed the assignments I asked them to complete.

Today consisted of:

Math: workbooks and review of basic facts for each child's level. K's(15 y/o) math class won't begin until the 7th and J's(12 y/o) curriculum is not here yet. In the meantime, we will work on basics and get them ready for this year's math courses.

English/Spelling/Language Arts: Today I handed both kids a dictionary. I asked them to find 15 words they didn't know how to spell and/or didn't know the definition of. I asked them to write each word and it's definition down on a piece of paper. After they created their lists, I asked them to put the words into sentences. They seemed to enjoy the hunt and learning new words. :)

Health: Today we talked about life expectancies and ways we can stay healthy not only physically, but also psychologicially and socially. We shared ideas on how we can remain healthy as well as how we can IMPROVE our individual health. It was a very good discussion and both kids participated. It felt GREAT to sit and discuss such important things with my children. Both kids took great notes and wrote down some key ideas too.

Independant Reading: Both kids read their required reading for their history classes. Their history class doesn't start for a few more weeks and the plan is for both kids to be finished with their books by the time their classes begin.

History: Earlier this week, I went to the library and checked out some history videos. I choose videos that would help prepare each kid for their upcoming history class. Today's video was on the US Constitution. Both kids took notes and shared the notes with me once they were finished watching the video.

Since we still have a couple more weeks before some of their classes start, we are easing into a routine. My plan is to get a more established routine by the time their other classes begin. Eventually, they will both have a science class, a history class and a Shakespeare class. K will be taking 2 computer classes and J will be taking a computer lit class. J takes figure skating lessons and would also like to take an art class. All in good time. So far, I feel we are off to a GREAT start. I am looking forward to what tomorrow will bring. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment